In 1985 cartoonist Alison Bechdel wrote a comic titled, "The Rule." And after a 20-year incubation period, the internet discovered it and went nuts! Much to Bechdel's surprise, her comic took on a life of its own as a female representation litmus test for movies, and all sorts of other media. This week Heather and Dayna trace the path of what has become known as the Bechdel Test, and discover some surprising movie passes and fails!
- "The Rule" (Dykes To Watch Out For - this is the original comic)
- Bechdel Test Movie List (BechdelTest.com)
- The Bechdel Test for Women in Movies (Feminist Frequency - video)
- The Bechdel Test Sets the Bar Too Low. Let's Write a New One. (Slate)
- What Really Makes a Film Feminist? (The Atlantic)
- Why The Bechdel Test Is More Important Than You Realize (io9)